If the statement credited to the camp of the former governor of Sokoto state, Alhaji Attahiru Bafarawa is anything to go by then it seems the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki will have to do better to prove that some of those he alleged to have collected a share of the $2.1billion arms deal actually took part.
A statement issued in Abuja by Alhaji Attahiru Bafarawa’s camp maintained that he did not receive any money from the embattled former security chief.
Alhaji Attahiru Bafarawa together with some top politicians were named among beneficiaries of about N100 million each from the embattled former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki.
The statement which was issued by one of his aides, a former Special Adviser on Youths and Student Matters to Alhaji Bafarawa during his term as governor of Sokoto state, Alhaji Akibu Dalhatu lamented what he referred to as a calculated media campaign aimed at rubbishing the image of the former governor adding that it seems ‘the media is being used to play out a script that has been written long before now’.
He said: “We have seen deliberate falsehoods published in the newspapers and social media platforms, designed deliberately to tarnish the image and person of Alhaji Attahiru Bafarawa. Some of the writers and media outfits have access to Governor Bafarawa and his media advisers. It would appear that the media is being used to play out a script that has been written long before now”.
Alhaji Dalhatu in the statement said that the former governor was not arrested at home or anywhere else as reported in the media. He said his boss went willingly to honour an invitation made to him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
“The truth is that Governor Bafarawa went to the EFCC to honour an invitation made to him by the agency while he was abroad. He had informed them through a letter by his lawyers that he was abroad and would honour their invitation on return. Governor Bafarawa went to the office of EFCC with his lawyer and an aide” he said.
Meanwhile, there are reports that former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki has been abandoned by his friends and political associates.
The former security adviser who had been under the radar of security operatives wasre-arrested by operatives of the Department of State Service on Tuesday, December 1 in front of his home in Abuja.